Patient Complaints

CVMC has a formal complaint process that can be used when breakdown in customer service cannot be resolved immediately at the time of occurrence.

Customer Service is an important component of the culture we are striving to create at Central Vermont Medical Center (CVMC). The philosophy of CVMC toward customer service encourages staff members who become aware of a patient/family/visitor complaint, to see it through to resolution. We use a service recovery program to assist in resolving customer service salutations which are less than satisfactory. The Service Recovery Program includes the use of tools to aid staff in returning “the aggrieved customer to a state of satisfaction with the institution after a service breakdown.” Department managers and staff can initiate action through the Service Recovery Program immediately when a situation is recognized.

Our Complaint Process

CVMC has a formal complaint process that can be used when breakdown in customer service cannot be resolved immediately at the time of occurrence. Information on how to access the complaint process is posted throughout various locations in the hospital and in the medical group practices.

Patients have a right to file a grievance regarding care, abuse or neglect, issues related to the hospital’s compliance with the CMS Hospital Conditions of Participation, or a Medicare beneficiary billing complaint related to rights and limitations provided by 42 CFR 489. All grievances will be reviewed and a written response will be provided. It is our goal to resolve grievances within seven days.

If you are a patient and would like to file a grievance, please contact our Patient Advocate in the Quality Management department:


Phone: 802-371-4350
Fax: 802-371-4446

University of Vermont Health Network - Central Vermont Medical Center
P.O. Box 547
Barre, Vermont 05641

The Patient Advocate is responsible for facilitating the grievance process, and is under the supervision of the Director of Patient and Family Services.

Outside Agencies

In addition to utilizing our grievance process, or in lieu of, patients are welcome to contact the following outside agencies with a complaint:

Health Care Advocate (HCA) HelpLine

Vermont’s HCA HelpLine is a free resource available to help all Vermonters solve problems related to health care. Call 1-800-917-7787 to speak with a health care advocate, or fill out their Help Request Form. Learn more about the HCA Helpline at

Vermont Department of Health/Board of Medical Practice (For concerns about physicians)

108 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0070

Telephone: 802-863-7200 or 800-464-4343

Vermont Secretary of State/Board of Nursing (For concerns about licensed health care professionals including nurses)

Office of Professional Regulation
89 Main Street, 3rd Floor
Montpelier, VT 05620-3402

Telephone: 802-828-2396

Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living (For compliance with federal and state regulation complaints and adult protective services)

Division of Licensing & Protection
HC 2 South
280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2060

​Email (preferred method):
Telephone: 888-700-5330

The Joint Commission (For concerns about quality or safety):

One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

Fax: 630-792-5636

Concerns can also be reported at using the “Report a Patient Safety Event” link in the Action Center on the home page of the website.

BFCC – QIO Program, Kepro (For Vermont Medicare Beneficiaries, concerns about quality or safety):

5700 Lombardo Center Dr. Suite 100
Seven Hills, OH 44131

Telephone: 1-888-319-8452
Fax: 1-833-868-4055

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights (For concerns about HIPAA violation, or discrimination)

200 Independence Avenue SW
Washington DC, 20201