At UVM Health Network - CVMC we believe that all members of our community should have access to healthy food.
Health Care Share
For the past three years, CVMC has partnered with the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps (VYCC) for the Health Care Share program, a farm fresh food assistance initiative created to bring healthy food and nutrition education to those in need. The initiative provides 12 pounds of local produce and poultry to food-insecure families each week for 12 weeks during the growing season.
This program has been a tremendous success! The Vermont Health Care Share has continued to expand and has been adopted by four major medical sites throughout the state, serving a total of 480 families in 2016.
Here are some 2016 highlights from the program at CVMC:
- 150 families participated through the CVMC Health Care Share program
- By the end of the year, after the 12-week summer program and fall share pickup, 2016 CVMC HCS members and their families will have received approximately 30,300 lbs. of produce and approximately 1,350 lbs. of chicken (new this year)
- 111 youth and young adults have been served through pay and for-credit opportunities on the Farm
- From the operation of spring, summer, and fall crews, 50 youth have been employed by the Farm Program
- Over 732 people have volunteered at the Farm and donated more than 3,073 hours to this year’s HCS
Vermont FoodBank Veggie VanGo
The VeggieVanGo mobile food pantry is coming to the hospital in partnership with the Vermont Foodbank and Hunger Mountain Coop. VeggieVanGo is a program of the Vermont Foodbank that provides fresh and healthy foods to people in need of food help at schools, healthcare facilities, and housing sites. This exciting initiative will allow us to offer our current Health Care Share recipients (and others in need that you may know) access to fresh vegetables and great food during the winter and early spring months, as well as cooking classes here at CVMC.
Their Veggie VanGo will be arriving at the medical center on the 4th Friday of every month to deliver fresh free groceries.
Mobile Food Pantry Dates for 2017:
- January 27
- February 24
- March 24
- April 28
- May 26
- June 23
Food will be available from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Distribution will be held in Conference Rooms 1 and 2 on the lower level of University of Vermont Health Network – Central Vermont Medical Center(If you come in the Main Entrance, take a left at the information table, then a left down the stairs – you will see the room on your left.)
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS!
Here’s to a full season of wellness. Hope to see you then.